How can I register?
Please see our Registration page for details.
I don’t have my child’s birth certificate. Can I still register?
Yes! You can provide any official document that clearly states the child’s name and date-of-birth – for example, an inoculation record or baptismal certificate.
We cannot accept documents that aren’t clearly readable or clearly authentic.
When does the season start?
The Spring season starts in early April and the Fall season starts in early September. Each season runs for 10 weeks. We don’t play on holiday weekends.
Do girls play on all-girl teams? Can they play on co-ed teams?
- Girls aged 4 and younger play on co-ed teams.
- We offer the choice of co-ed or all-girl teams to girls aged 5 to 14. Girls do not have to play on all-girl teams – please make your preference clear when you register. Most girls choose to play in the all-girl divisions, so generally there are only a very small number of girls on the co-ed teams.
- Girls 15 and older play on the Under-19 co-ed division, because not enough girls register to form an all-girl division for this age-group. Usually about one-third of the players in U19 are girls.
How do you determine a player’s age?
In the Fall season we take the player’s age on October 1st as his/her age for the season, to align with school cut-off dates. In the Spring season we use April 1st. We assign players to divisions strictly by age on the cutoff date, even if they only miss it by one day.
Can I choose a team/coach? Can my child be placed on a team with a friend?
- If your child will be under 7 on the season cut-off date (April 1st in Spring, October 1st in Fall) you may request for him/her to be placed with a particular team or coach, or with a friend in the same division. We’ll do our best to honor your request, but we cannot guarantee it. Please make your request when you register—we cannot change teams after assignment.
- If your child will be 7 or older on the cut-off date we cannot accept requests for placement or pairing.
- Players in the Challenger program are not assigned to teams.
Can my own children play together?
Siblings will be on the same team if they’re in the same division. Or we can separate you ask us to – you can make your choice on the registration form.
Can I register my child even if he/she isn’t quite four?
Yes – we have an Under-4 Introductory program. There is no minimum age for this program, but players must be out of diapers and ready to participate in an organized activity.
Once I’ve registered is my child guaranteed a place on a team?
No, though we can usually place all players who register by the announced late-fee deadline, if enough parents offer to coach.
Wait-listed players will be placed if space becomes available, and may miss the first week or two of the season. Unplaced players’ fees will be refunded. The earlier you register the higher your child’s assignment priority!
When does registration close?
We will plan division and team sizes based on the number of players and coaches registered by the announced late-fee cut-off date. After that, registration will close on a division-by-division basis, as the divisions fill up.
Please register early!!!
We don’t live in Howell. Can we still join Pinelanders?
Yes! There is no requirement that members are residents of Howell.
Can I be a coach?
We always need volunteers to be coaches and assistant coaches, and you don’t need experience – just enthusiasm and a willingness to help children to learn the game. If you’re able to help please sign up with your player registration. Click here for the Coaching Q&A page.
Coaches must comply with the mandatory safety requirements.
Do I have to register and pay on-line?
Registration is on-line, but you can mail your payment if you prefer. If you don’t have Internet access please call 1-641-715-3800, access code 16476#. We’ll help you to register.
If you plan to mail your payment:
- Please don’t register at the last minute. Your child will not be placed if your payment hasn’t arrived.
- Please don’t use your bank’s mail-a-check payment system unless you’re registering at least a couple of weeks before any deadline. It typically takes at least a week for those checks to arrive, and by that time we may have voided your child’s registration. Paying on-line is a much faster alternative and saves a lot of unnecessary trouble.
Will I get a refund if I change my mind?
We’ll announce a withdrawal date, which will be about three weeks before the start of the season. If you let us know by that date, we’ll give you a full refund. If you let us know after that date you’ll be charged a $10 late-withdrawal fee if your child has not been assigned, and if he/she has been assigned you won’t be eligible for a refund.
If you’re not sure, our advice is always to register anyway, to get the highest possible registration priority and avoid paying the late fee. Then if you decide not to play just be sure to let us know before the withdrawal deadline.
Where can I get more information?
You’ll find a lot of information on the various Q&A pages. Please read them carefully, and if you can’t find what you need feel free to contact us. Please ask your question clearly and courteously, and we’ll do our best to help.
Please don’t expect an immediate response to your questions. Pinelanders is a volunteer organization, and most Board members have day-jobs.